Robyn Roots a native of Tampa, Florida and resides in Richmond, VA. “Nurse by Day Movie Producer by Night. “Robyn Has been in the medical field for over 33years and her specialty is Renal Health. There are so many experiences that shaped Robyn into the dynamic nurse and entrepreneur she is today. She currently works at the McGuire VA Medical center as a Nurse Professional Development Practitioner and Renal Consultant.
Robyn has been a present voice in the renal Community in training over 5,000patients, families, dialysis nurses, physicians, church congregations about renal disease and serving on expert panels during her journey as a Kidney health coach. Always serving as an advocate for the people.
Robyn is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and visionary of Klosa’Productions; she has been in the film profession for the past six years and is an executive producer and co-producer on several film projects including TheTurnaround Movie; Aloha; Truthless; Jump Start; The Hunting of Potters field;Poz Roz; The Season; and Courage to Stand. Roots has moved expeditiously into the film directors’ role when she decided to share about her own life in the short film she wrote and directed called Did Showing Up Save My Life?
In celebration of Nurse’s Appreciation Week in 2020, Robyn wrote and directed an Award-Winning Documentary, 2020 Year of the Nurse, during the Covid-19pandemic. This project focused on people of color in the medical profession sharing their experience during Covid-19 and the impact of racism in the field. Robyn has been interviewed on multiple platforms thus far concerning this film. The message is very clear when it comes to diversity, equity, and inclusion, she believes in using media to have courageous, straightforward conversations that are necessary today.
Awards In Nursing:
• Member of International Honor Society
• Golden Key International Honor Society
• Excellence in Nursing
• Mayme B. Wilson Lacey Award, Award for Excellence in the Community, VCU
• Patient Advocate of the Year from National Kidney Foundation
• National Nurses Education Initiative Scholarship Award
• Worldwide Leader in Healthcare award top Nephrology Nurse and Nurse Educators
• Recipient of Mother’s Day honors
• Honored and served on panel Honoring Martin Luther King” Where are Women Now”
• Honored and served on panel Honoring Martin Luther King “Dream, Believe, Do… Renewing a sense of Empowerment”
• Healthcare Policy Travel Grant Recipient, American Nephrology Nursing Association
Awards In Film:
• Best documentary, “2020 Year of the Nurse”, Bronze Lens Film Festival
• Best Music Video, “2020 Year of the Nurse”, Orlando Urban Film Festival
• Best Director, Phenomenal Women in film, “2020 Year of the Nurse”, Orlando Urban Film Festival
• Honorable Mention, “2020 Year of the Nurse”, Orlando Urban Film Festival
• Award of Recognition, “2020 Year of the Nurse” The Impact DOCS Awards
• Selected, “2020 Year of the Nurse” The Indie FEST Film Awards
• Nominated, Best Documentary, “2020 Year of the Nurse” Orlando Film Festival
• Selected, Best Short Documentary, “Did Showing up Save my Life?”
• Award-Winning, Web Series, POZ ROZ
• Multiple Award-Winning Feature films, The Turnaround
• Award Winning Short Film, The Haunting of Potters field
• Award Winning Short Film, Aloha
• Award Winning Short Film, Courage to Stand
• BronzeLens Film Festival Filmmaker News
• The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. 12th Annual BronzeLens Film Festival goes virtual again this year
• McGuire Weekly for role in the Renal Community
• McGuire Weekly for trip to Congress to advocate for Kidney Patients
• Florida Sentinel Publication in Tampa.” Personal Experience led to Nursing Career”
• Florida Sentinel Publication in Tampa. “Neighbors Share Their Craft from Afar”
• Florida Sentinel Publication in Tampa. Tampa Bay Native Assist with Production of Movie, “The Turnaround”
• Florida Sentinel Publication in Tampa. Tampa Bay Native is among Nurses who will Address Congress
• Florida Sentinel Publication in Tampa. Tampa Native, Dialysis Nurse Honored by National Kidney Foundation
• Florida Sentinel Publication in Tampa. Movie with Tampa Connections is Part of Weekend Film Festival
• Commercial for Atlanta Bronze lens Film Festival.
• Facebook Live on Nurse Turned Movie Producer, “Courage to Stand Project”
• Facebook Live on Nurse Turned Movie Producer, “The Haunting of Potters Field”
• On WRIC 8 News Richmond, VA, Nephrology Month
• On NBC 12 News Richmond, VA Patient Advocate of the Year award
• Facebook Live Kidneython as Kidney Expert
• #Appeared on the Word Network with Pastor Jamal H. Bryant “Nurse Turned Movie Producer”
• #Appeared on TV ONE” Nurse turned Movie Producer”
• # Appeared on Get It Got It Good “Nurse Turned Movie Producer”
• #Spotlighted in American Nephrology Nursing Associations (ANNA)
Nurse Roots is a lifelong learner with a passion to help and educate people. Her passion for nursing is always at the forefront of her movie career.
My people perish from a lack of knowledge. (Hosea 4:6) Nurse Roots is a change agent and a humble servant of the Lord.